Sunday 19 November 2017

Scooby Apocalypse (Keith Giffen) - Volumes 1-2

I was quite excited and intrigued when I heard DC had produced a reimaging of Scooby Doo and the gang.

However immediately when I started reading the first volume I quickly realised the graphic novel wouldn't be same as Hanna Barber's hapless gang of misfits.

I liked how Giffen reimaged the main characters as they appeared to be more fully formed, fleshed out, grown up characters. My favourite reimaged character was Shaggy, who turned from a cowardly, goofy stoner to a tattooed, hipster who resembles a bicycle courier.

However I soon realised the monsters in Scooby Apocalypse weren't fake monsters, but in fact real monsters who want kill all everyone and everything.

I found the level of gore and violence quite off putting, which is something as I am a big fan of Saga and the Walking Dead who botj don't hold back when it comes to violence and gore.

DC have seems to have gone out of their way to adapt a children's classic for an old audience and failed in everyway possible. In fact I abandoned volume 2 before the end because I couldn't cope with the level of violence that progressed with every page. I feel like that it has almost ruined the memory of Scooby Doo for me. I definitely won't be reading any further volumes.

Velma and Shaggy having a deep and meaningful conversation.

Amazon.co.uk link for Scooby Apocalypse Volume 1:
https://tinyurl.com/yam5xo2o

Amazon.co.uk link for Scooby Apocalypse Volume 2:
https://tinyurl.com/ydxztywq

No comments:

Post a Comment