Wednesday 27 December 2017

All-new Guardians of the Galaxy - Volume 1 - Communication Breakdown (Gerry Duggan)

I was looking forward to this new 'reboot' of Guardians of the Galaxy, though I wonder why Marvel needs 3 reboots in 3 years. It seems a bit excessive.

Reading this volume I felt I was joining the story when it was half way through. It was like something had happened behind the scenes that the reader wasn't aware of. I'm not too sure if All-New Guaridans of the Galaxy continued on from Brian Michael Bendis' Guardian of the Galaxy New Guard run.

The team seemed fractured and weren't getting on at all, which was quite refreshing.

It was interesting to see them not getting on yet still come together to work on a job. Apparently this job would be their final job before the team separates, which is hard to imagine.

Also I was intrigued why Drax the Destroyer had suddenly become a pacifist, after being known for his years and years of killings. After all you don't get the name Drax the Destroyer for not killing and causing destruction. It was strange to see Drax decline to fight or kill in order to help his team. I hoped we would find out what caused him to become pacifist but we didn't in this volume.

This volume was the first time I had encountered the Collector and the Grandmaster in comic form. Having encountered them both in the Marvel films.

I enjoyed the seeing the Guardians being caught up with the two squabbling Elder brothers who spend the whole volume scheming against each other. I found their banter and one liners to each other refreshing and provided much needed light relief.

The blurb at the back of the book describes the volume as 'A New era of cosmic adventure' and it definitely feels like a new era, as there is a new writer and I feel there also an unusual change in direction for the series. I will definitely give volume 2 a go when it comes out.


No comments:

Post a Comment